Let me set the scene, I am feeding Wylie in the house while Wilder, Whitley, and Wyatt are playing outside under the huge oak tree on their tire swing. Twenty minutes into their outside time, all three of them came in wide-eyed and squealing. All I heard was "Snake, snake, snake, snake!!" I of course questioned Wilder, who has given us a tall-taled snake story from time to time. All three of them took me outside and pointed at the oak tree. Wilder said he saw it as he was pushing the other two on the tire swing, so he stopped the swing and they all ran inside. So, being the brave Mom that I am (in sandals holding my four week old daughter) walked towards the tree, praying that this was another tall-tale...
Nope!! The kids had been outside for twenty minutes playing a few feet away from a copper-head. Long story short I got the neighbor to come kill the snake, because I knew I would probably drop dead if I tried!
I am okay with an occasional non-venomous snake, still scared, but okay. I am not okay with a venomous snake around my children, and this was the second one we have found in the past month. The first was a coral snake right behind the kids playscape. I am trying to get used to living in the country, but I have threatened Dave that I might be packing up, kicking the renters out, and moving back into town if we keep finding snakes around here!!
Well I am officially prepared for the next one! We now have two guns in our house, one of which is my very first shotgun. I am still nervous having them in my house, but I am ready for the next snake!! Part of me (a very small part) wants to find one just so I can try out my new shotgun:)
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!! I am not afraid of snakes..but that's only NONpoisonous ones. The deadly kind..NO THANKS! Yep, I'd be hightailing it out or something. Don't you have some dogs? They need to be better watch dogs! :0)
Good luck and I hope you blow the next one's head off!
You'll get use to them! Half of em are more scared of you than you are of them. We just killed a 5 ft chicken snake in my grandmother's yard. He was trying to escape! You should have a gun out here anyways. Never know when a hog will show up! :) Now you're enjoying country life!
Post a Comment