Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homeschool

I have toyed with the idea of homeschooling for awhile now. I feel strongly that I can give my kiddos more at home than they get at school. I am unimpressed with what the schools around here have to offer. Now, this decision has nothing to do with Wilder's experience this year. He is a social butterfly and loves the social interactions at school. He also has an awesome teacher, which makes this year so much easier for me. It is hard to let him go off and not know what he is doing during the day. He is extremely bright and I feel that he needs more than what a typical classroom can give him. This post is not to convince people of my decision. Well because, it is my decision and I am excited about keeping him home next year and starting our homeschooling journey. I have found a wonderful program and I love the structure of the days, but also the option to add in more.

I had a hard time actually deciding to go ahead and start homeschooling because we are so isolated from everything. The closest "city" is an hour away, which is too far to drive more than a couple of times a month. I wanted to find more like-minded individuals and hopefully join a homeschool group. Well guess what, I don't have to drive more than ten minutes. I have actually found an awesome group in the area who meet every other week for play/crafts/field trips and parent/kid social time. The younger three "W's" and I visited the group meeting before Christmas and I felt right at home:) The kids had a good time, and I can't wait to go back. I am going to continue and take the younger three for now, and then once Wilder starts homeschooling we'll all go. I am going to let him finish off grade K in public school. I need the rest of this school year to prep and read and pick all of the homeschool Mommy brains that I can. I want to be prepared and ready!

No comments: